How I aced the SATS

 How I got a 1450 on my SATs

After graduating 12th grade I had no idea what to do or what university to pick. So I decided to test myself with the SATs. of the bat that sent me into complete panic mode. I got so stressed that anything I studied left me more baffled than confident. I realized that I was terrible at mathematics and I might do bad on possibly the most important test of my life(at the time).


I crammed my head with past papers and even joined an academy to help but it all felt pointless because I wasn't sure if I was learning anything. I started stress eating and gained 10 kgs. I looked and felt awful at the time. Looking back I honestly feel silly about being so mellow dramatic.

Anyway, two weeks before the actual test, the academy held a mock test. In which I got a score of 900. It felt like the world was ending and I couldn't comprehend how I did so poorly. The academy gave me extra notes to help me study more but they were extremely hard to understand. So I did the only thing that would make me sane. I quit the academy and took a week off. In that week I went on morning walks and spent a lot of time alone, to get my life back into perspective. Honestly it helped so much.

Then with a week to go I got back to studying and at that time I didn't really have a lot of hope seeing how bad I did on the mock test. I told myself it's okay even if I did bad and life wouldn't stop. I studied four hours a day. The rest of it was spent relaxing and reading for pleasure but those four hours I really studied. Solving past papers helped more then the study guide for some reason.

It's funny how I can clearly recall all the days before the SATs but the day of the test is blurred in my memory. I just remember being calm and all my friends saying I wouldn't get a good score because I didn't study as much as they did. Things like how could I take a week of and how I failed the mock test. 

Long story short I did my SATs and got the highest score out of my friends. 

One advice that I would give to the kids giving the SATs is that relax, don't stress so much that you can't think straight. Get into a routine, whatever works for you. Take breaks when your head feels like it might explode and finally, the most important advice of all is do your best and don't worry about how your friends are so ahead of you in they're preparations. Everyone learns at a different pace and that's okay.


Comments